Home Find information Road accident

Road accident

Québec's auto-insurance plan protects all road users. All Québec citizens are covered for any injuries arising from an automobile accident anywhere in the world, whether or not they are responsible for it.

To be compensated by the SAAQ

To be compensated, the accident must involve at least one motor vehicle in motion. For a collision between two cyclists, or between a cyclist and a pedestrian, it is the Québec health insurance plan that covers the costs.

Cyclist injured by a car door opening

According to the circumstances of the accident, the cyclist could be compensated by the SAAQ.

In all cases, cyclists are asked to submit a request for compensation to the SAAQ, using an accident or event report, if applicable. The SAAQ will make a decision based on the facts presented.

What to do?

In the event of injury, here is how to proceed:

  • Call 911 - Call the police immediately from the location of the collision in order to produce an accident report.
  • Consult a doctor without delay; list any symptoms relating to the accident on the medical report, and make sure that the doctor sends the report to the Société de l'assurance automobile du Québec (SAAQ).
  • Send a claim to the SAAQ as soon as possible.
  • Advise your own private insurer if the collision caused material damage.